Friday, January 27, 2017

Thanks for the Parenting Advice, Asshole


Dear Self-Appointed Expert on My Child and My Parenting:

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell me I'm doing parenting wrong! Few things bring me greater joy in life than when people assume my parenting jokes are the literal truth/treat the tiny slice of my parenting they see as the sum total of all that happens in my house/convince themselves that I am so stupid that I have never, not once, bothered to spend even a second of my time researching parenting issues.


Now that you've taken time out of your busy schedule to tell me I'm doing it wrong, I'm going to change my wicked ways for good. After all, I don't want to be judged, and everyone knows that it's totally possible to avoid all judgment of your parenting if you just make the right decisions. Thank you for showing me the way, the truth, and the light!

I'm even more grateful for something else: I'm grateful that you have deemed yourself a parenting expert, thereby freeing me of the responsibility to learn on my own. Thanks for the totally reasonable expectation that I will do what you tell me to because you're the one telling me to do it. How do we know each other again?

Now that I've benefited from your unsolicited advice, it's time for you to benefit from mine. You do believe in the right to give such advice, right? And you clearly believe that such advice, once provided, should automatically be followed, yes? So here's mine:

Go fuck yourself.

No comments

Post a Comment

I moderate comments. Don't waste your time leaving a comment that I won't publish. All comments are subject to my comments policy. I welcome open discussion and differing opinions, but not abuse.